This post will show you how to use the DISM Tool to repair a Windows System Image in Windows 10/8.1. The System Update and Readiness Tool or CheckSUR tool will scan your Windows computer for inconsistencies, which may be caused by various hardware failures or by software issues and potentially fix that corruption. In Windows 10/8 and Windows Server, the Inbox Corruption Repair brings the functionality of CheckSUR into Windows. You do not require a separate download to get the tool.
Windows Component Store Corrupt
Repair Windows System Image using DISM
If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem. In the case of system inconsistencies and corruptions, you can use the DISM tool by using the Cleanup-Image functionality along with these available switches.
Open an elevated Command Prompt and use command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image followed by these switches:
- /ScanHealth: This checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log but no corruption is fixed using this switch. This is useful for logging what, if any, corruption exists. Use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth. This could take 10-15 minutes.
- /CheckHealth: This checks to see if a component corruption marker is already present in the registry. This is merely a way to see if corruption currently exists. Think of it as a read-only CHKDSK. Use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth. This could take less than a minute.
- /RestoreHealth: This checks for component store corruption, records the corruption to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and fixes the corruption using Windows Update. This operation takes 15 mins or more depending on the level of corruption. Use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
Inbox Corruption Repair
You can use this:
- If your System File Checker is corrupted or not working and the sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted system files because the store is corrupted.
- To fix Windows component store corruption when the same Windows Updates continue to appear to be available to install even though they already show successfully installed in update history.
- If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files, correct the problem and repair Windows image. You can use DISM to repair an offline Windows image in a WIM or VHD file or an online Windows image.
Source: Microsoft TechNet.
See this post if you receive a DISM fails The source files could not be found error message.