SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED stop code error which appears when BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) occurs. Many different situations were reported, it could happen after 1 – 2 minutes or right after you start Windows. If Windows can not start normally, try to boot in Safe Mode then try methods below. In some cases, Windows keeps restarting and you need to fix it first before going any further.
Method 1: Update your device driver
The SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error usually occurs due to a problematic driver. Windows typically try to include more information about the error, normally in brackets after the stop code, it’s the name of the driver that causing the error. If you do not see any information about the cause on Blue Screen, try to boot in Safe Mode and use Event Viewer to see what drivers gone wrong.
Another way to find BSOD information is by using BlueScreenView to view minidump files – where Windows stores BSOD’s information. Although is an old program, but it runs smoothly on Windows 10. Download and install the program, it will find and list all the minidump files on your computer after a BSOD crash. Now you can see the SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error code and the related files.
Once you have pointed out the drivers that cause the error, follow steps to update them may fix the problem:
- Press the ‘Windows + X’ shortcut on your keyboard then select ‘Device Manager’;
- Right-click the hardware corresponding to the driver related to the error then choose ‘Update driver’;
- Choose ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ and follow instructions to complete the process.
The process will download and install any available updates of the driver. After the process completes, check if the SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error is fixed.
Method 2: Run System File Checker
The SFC (System File Checker) is integrated into Windows, it allows users to scan for and restore corrupt Windows system files. If you can not boot normally, try to run System File Checker in Safe Mode or Boot Time. In this post, I show you how to use it to fix the SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error:
- Press Windows key on your keyboard and type ‘cmd’, right-click Command Prompt and select ‘Run as Administrator’;
- In the open window, type in the ‘sfc /scannow’ command and hit Enter key;
- Restart your PC after the scanning process. This process will replace all corrupted files on reboot.
If the SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error keeps coming, you might need to do a clean Windows install. In Windows 10, Reset this PC option will help you to do that.