Nowadays, the internet is becoming important increasingly in human society. It’s almost impossible to think about a world without an internet connection. Activities from the simplest to the most complex rely heavily on the internet. The ‘Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ error message occurs due to your computer did not receive a valid IP address from your DHCP server (the modem, switch or wireless router).
Usually, your network connection will automatically obtain an IP address, default gateway, subnet mask or DNS server. Though, due to some unknown reasons, it couldn’t obtain all the essential details. Hence, all your PC’s connections cannot go through the DHCP server.
If the error occurs, you have to face some annoying errors like no internet connection or limited connectivity. But do not worry, and it’s not a permanent problem, and with methods below you can get rid of it in a few steps.
Method 1: Check the internet cable
The first thing you should do is to check all your internet cable from modem through switches or wireless router to your computer. Broken internet cable could cause the annoying error, replacing it should fix the problem.
Method 2: Disable Fast Startup feature
Fast Startup feature is enabled by default on most laptops and some desktops installed Windows 10 to allows users able to fast recovery from hibernation or shutdown. Its working principle is to save the operating system state to a hibernation file, then use it when you turn your computer on to make your computer boot up faster. This means all issues that were present will be loads back in. It makes the Fast Startup feature become a potential cause for the ‘Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ error message, hence disable it may fix the issue. To do it:
- Press the ‘Windows + R’ shortcut, type ‘control panel’ in the Run box then press Enter to open Control Panel;
- Control Panel window should open, find and select Power Options. If you can not see it, change ‘View by’ option (at the right-top of the window) to ‘Large icons’ or ‘Small icons’ instead of Category;
- On the left sidebar, select ‘Choose what the power buttons do’ to open System Settings window;
- ‘Shutdown settings’ area is disabled by default. Click ‘Change settings that are currently available’ at the top of the page to enable it;
- Uncheck ‘Turn on fast startup’ option then select ‘Save changes’ button.
Restart your PC and check for the error, if it’s fixed, voilà!
Method 3: Use Command Prompt to reset Winsock Protocol and TCP/IP setting
Refreshing the Winsock Protocol and TCP/IP settings sometimes help you get rid of most Internet connection errors, including the Ethernet Doesn’t Have A Valid IP Configuration error. Follow below guide to do it:
- Right-click Start icon (or simply hit the ‘Windows + X’ keyboard shortcut) and select Command Prompt (Admin) to open it as Administrator, select Yes when you’re asked for administrator permission. If you can not find it in Power User menu in Windows 10, try to put it back;
- In open windows, type the following commands and hit Enter key after each command:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
Restart your PC to complete this action, then test your internet connection.
Method 4: Manually change your TCP/IP settings
If method 2 does not help, you need to manually change your TCP/IP settings.
- Do the same as step 1 of method 1 to open Control Panel;
- On Control Panel window, make sure ‘View by’ option is ‘Large icons’ or ‘Small icons’ instead of Category, then select ‘Network and Sharing Center’;
- On the left sidebar, choose ‘Change adapter settings’ link;
- Right-click adapter that you’ve connected to then select Properties;
- In Properties window, select Networking tab, then choose ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ item and click Properties button;
First case: You already have configured static IP and DNS server address but your PC still shows up the ‘Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ error message, then you should let your system obtains it automatically. To do it, select ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ and ‘Obtain DNS server address automatically’ options then click OK button.
Second case: You have not configured IP and DNS address and the system obtains it automatically by default. You should try to configure those parameters with the static values, here is the LAN IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Server.
Those values may differ on your network, there are two values you must remember are your IP address and the default gateway.
The default gateway is the IP address of your router or modem, you have to check it and put it on Default gateway setting.
The IP address value depends on the Default gateway value. For example, the default gateway address is 192.168.3.1, then the IP address must be 192.168.11.xxx (xxx is any number from 2 to 255, but make sure it is different from IP address that other devices have used).
After you have filled all the values, select OK button then reboot your computer and test your Internet connection.
Method 5: Resetting all your modem, wireline adapters, and wireless router
If you have tried all the methods above but the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration’ error, you should try to reset all your modem, wireline adapters, and wireless router. Any of these components got problems could cause the error message.
Hope all this post helps you fix your problem!
Tag: ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration, ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration windows 10, ethernet 2 doesn’t have a valid ip configuration, windows 10 ethernet doesn’t have a valid ip configuration.