The THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER Windows 10 error seems to be related to the video or sound card on your computer. I may occur due to incompatible video card/sound card, or their drivers are out of date. Any corrupted or damaged system files could also cause this error to occur. There’re several ways you can apply to fix this error, such as updating the video card/sound card’s driver, perform a System File Checker scan, installing Windows updates.
If you can not boot your PC normally, try to boot into Safe Mode first.
Method 1: Update the video card/sound card’s driver
If your computer doesn’t have one of them, just update any card that was installed on your PC. I will show you how to update your video card to fix the THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER crash. If you have a sound card, perform it again with it.
- Hit the keyboard shortcut ‘Windows + X’ then select ‘Device Manager’;
- Right-click the video card then choose ‘Update driver’;
- Choose ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ and follow instructions to complete the process, the process will download and install any available updates of the driver. You can also choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ if you have download the update file to your PC.
After the process completes, check if the THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER error is fixed.
Method 2: Run a System File Checker scan
The SFC (System File Checker) is a Windows utility that provides users an option to scan for and restore corrupt Windows system files on their computers. You can run System File Checker in Safe Mode or Boot Time if your PC can not boot normally.
- Bring up the Start menu by pressing the Windows key, then type ‘cmd’, right-click Command Prompt and select ‘Run as Administrator’;
- In the Command Prompt window, type in the ‘sfc /scannow’ command and press Enter key;
- After the scanning process, restart your PC. This process will replace all corrupted files on reboot.
Method 3: Install any available Windows updates
There’s a chance that new Windows updates could fix the THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER error, so it worth to try performing Windows updates and installing any pending updates. To do so:
- Open Settings window by hitting the keyboard shortcut ‘Windows + I’, then select ‘Update & Security’;
- On ‘Windows Update’ tab, click ‘Check for updates’ button, then install any available updates. Your PC may restart several times during updates installation.
After the updates process completes, start your computer normally to check for the THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER error is fixed or not.
If nothing changes after you apply all the above methods, then the error probably due to physically damaged on your video card/audio card. In this situation, replace it with a new one should fix the error permanently.