DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) bump right in when you are working with your computer, don’t worry, this issue is possible to fix. I will show you several simple and easy methods to get out of it.
We list 6 methods down here by DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION root cause popularity level. You should try from 1 to 6 until your problem is solved. You may not have to try all of them.
- Change SATA AHCI driver
- Update available controller drivers
- Check for your hardware and software compatibility
- Check your disk
- Run Event Viewer
- Reinstall window
If you can not log into Windows OS normally, boot into Safe Mode and try these methods to fix DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION BSOD.
Method 1: Change SATA AHCI driver
I recommend this method at first because SATA AHCI controller driver is the most popular root cause of the error that a large number of Windows users have reported. To do this:
- Bring up the Power User Menu by pressing ‘Windows + X’ on your keyboard and click ‘Device Manager’;
- Expand ‘IDE ATA/ATAPI controller’;
- Right-click ‘SATA AHCI controller’ and select Properties;
- Make sure the controller was chosen exactly. Confirm it by go to the Driver tab on the Properties window and select ‘Driver Details’. Make sure the ‘iaStorA.sys’ is listed here then click OK to exit;
- On the Properties window, select Driver tab and click Update Driver, then select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’;
- Select the only one option in the below picture;
- Select ‘Standard SATA AHCI Controller’ and click Next. Follow instruction to finish the rest of the procedure;
- Restart your PC and the change will take place.
Method 2: Update available drivers
One more reason for DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD is your hardware drivers were outdated. Make sure all your hardware devices have the latest drivers, update those that don’t.
To update the drivers manually, you should search for the most recent correct driver on the manufacturer’s official website.
Method 3: Check your hardware and software compatibility
DPC Watchdog Violation error could cause by incompatible hardware devices/software programs that installed on your PC.
Check for hardware compatibility
Disconnect your external devices installed on the PC (such as external hard drive or a USB flash drive) except your mouse and keyboard, then restart your computer.
If the error does not appear again, you could conclude the problem is on your hardware compatibility. Next steps, one by one install the external devices back, then restart your computer each time install an external device.
If the error appears again when you install a certain device, you have got the culprit already. Do update its drive (follow the instruction on Method 2). If the DPC Watchdog Violation error still persists, this device should be replaced or removed completely from your computer.
Check for software compatibility
If the error just has appeared after you made some changes to your PC (installed a new application, or upgraded some programs), try to roll back that changes. If you are not sure about the changes you have made, you should use System Restore, and your computer will go back to the previous state.
Method 4: Check your disk
Hard disk problems could lead to DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD error. Following steps guide you to check if your disk is at a good state or not:
- First, open Command Prompt as Administrator, if you are running Windows 10, you may notice that Command Prompt is not on the Power Users menu, you can put it back easily;
- Type in open window ‘chkdsk /f /r’ command, hit Enter key, then press Y to set schedule;
Method 5: Run Event Viewer
This method may be able to find the culprit driver or device that is causing you the DPC Watchdog Violation BSOD error.
- Press ‘Windows + X’ shortcut to open Power User Menu and select Event Viewer;
- On the left sidebar, select ‘Windows Logs’, then System;
- Look for events marked by Error or Warning, then you could see detailed information of what exactly went wrong and happen time.
Method 6: Clean Windows install
If all the above steps fail to fix the DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION BSOD error, the only option left is to install a new clean Windows. That means you will need a Windows installation disk or USB drive, you will delete everything on your system drive and install a fresh version of Windows 10, but this should be the last method.
You don’t need a Windows installation disk or USB drive if your computer is running Windows 10, because it includes a Reset this PC option that quickly restores Windows to its factory default configuration. It’s faster and more convenient than reinstalling Windows from scratch or using installation disk, USB drive, or even your manufacturer’s recovery partition.
Follow the steps listed in that article as a final solution and check if your PC back to work normally.
Tag: dpc watchdog violation, dpc watchdog violation windows 10, dpc_watchdog_violation, dpc watchdog violation windows 8, dpc_watchdog_violation windows 10, dpc_watchdog_violation windows 8, stop code dpc watchdog violation.